A Spring Affair - Mozambique Fashion Week 2011



I know I know, I have been missing. But I know you guys are aware that I had to worry about my fashion show, on December 6th.
Let me walk you through the creation process...

I started designing it as early as March. I was so inspired by the colours and the life that was brought in the runways, i just threw it to paper. I had a thousand ideas but had no Idea how to translate it. All nature, colours, spring, and chic colors appealed to me. I had this idea of simplicity just stuck in my head.
I wanted a woman that walked and oozed confidence. A chic, modern, simple yet sexy woman, colorful but not over-the-top woman. 

When I ran across the fabrics, I fell in love. I knew it had to be those colors, those fabrics would marry perfectly. But still, I had the hardest time naming my collection. I knew it deep inside I just didn't know the perfect name to translate my ideas. And then, in one of those days filled with bittersweet memories, it came to me.
Like the beginning of any love story.... It always starts as Spring. It makes you blossom. And when it's perfect, like in a novel, it doesnt scream bright colors or feelings. It whispers emotions.
That's my Spring Affair.










See more pictures here:

I was pretty nervous, had some minor setbacks, while dressing up the girls, the clock was ticking and I was a bit desperate, I forgot to do my makeup, and even to put on earrings!! That's how crazy it was! I couldn't even smile at the runway, was just focusing on not looking at anyone in the eye otherwise I would definitely crack, or get distracted.


[photo credits: Simon Deiner @ SDR Photo]

Also check out the video, showing part of the runway show of my collection. Thanks to my dearest cousin and amazing Dancer, Adriana Jamisse:



Mehh.. don't like my face so much. But I guess it could be worse!

Anyway... each day goes by and I love my collection more and more. It brought me many smiles, specially for this:

a) Special Mention by the judges: "Domingas' commercial appeal and understanding of fast fashion and her overall potential earned her the special mention amongst a strong list of candidates." - @Derek_Geddes [in StyleLove]

b) Acclaimed by the public: "Breath of Fresh Air" , "Classy", "Elegant", "Beautiful", were only few of the words I have heard :) thank you all so so so much!

I take this opportunity to thank everyone involved in the process... that helped me keeping it together:
* My tailor - Without him, and his understanding of what I had in mind, this could have been a disaster x-D
* My Family - Having their support the whole way (and knowing I was totally destroyed for doing this and working late hours at my office doing something COMPLETELY different! - THANK YOU
Specially to my sister who is going through so much right now and still managed to be so so nice and helpful to me, when I was in need. Love you Barbs!!!
* Friends - You know who you are. Bearing with my "secrecy", my stress and my unavailability and still be there for me... Priceless :)

Last but not least:
  • Sirius Productions: For helping me keep it together with the fittings, and little details. Thanks for everything, Anni, Yaz, everyone, you were amazing.
  • DDB, VMFW is getting better each year. I can tell from my first experience to this one, it is getting better. Thanks for the wonderful opportunity. 
  • The Models were just amazing. "Ladies", as a friend of mine said. Thanks for everything!!!
  • Elizabeth and Derek, from Elizabeth Galloway Academy of Fashion Design Judges at MFW that were sooo nice to me, I cannot thank you enough. This was the most important part of the whole experience to me.
  • And always, always thank you Taibo Bacar for everything you are to me. You always tell me what I need to hear, good or bad, and believe me, I learn each time. Thanks for being this amazing friend. And mentor. And judge. And friend (again).

To everyone supporting me, please keep visiting my page on facebook, this blog, and keep up with what's new. The collection will be for sale very soon, so make your requests!

Waiting for your comments!!!

Love,

Mingas


SHARE IT


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Leila Lopes, Miss Universe 2011

FANCY FASHION SHOW - Uma nova força na moda Moçambicana